How To Diamond Paint
PART 1 - Setting Up the Canvas
- Purchase a diamond painting kit at our online store here.
- Understand how to read the canvas. The canvas is composed of tiny boxes that are colored and labeled with numbers, much like a cross-stitch canvas. Each number corresponds to a diamond color. The numbers are written on a chart, with the corresponding bag and diamond color written below or next to it. The chart is typically printed on the side of the canvas. Some squares may contain a letter or symbol instead; treat this as a number.
Unroll the canvas and tape it down onto a flat surface. If the canvas won't lay flat, roll it back the other way, then unroll it. Spread it down onto a flat surface, then secure the edges with masking tape. This project can be time consuming. Consider taping the canvas to a board, which you can move out of the way easily.
- Peel back part of the plastic covering on the canvas. Do not peel all of the plastic away; 1 to 2 inches(2.54 to 5.08 centimeters) will be plenty. Run your fingernail along the plastic to crease it so that it doesn't roll forwards. Some kits come with pre-cut plastic strips. In this case, simply peel the first strip off.
Pour out your first crystal color into the tray. Take a look at the patch of canvas you just exposed. Choose a box to start with, and note the number in it. Look the number up on the chart, then find the bag with the same number. Open up the bag, and pour out some of the crystals onto the tray that came with your kit. Some kits come with multiple trays. You can use the other trays for the other colors in that section.
Part 2 - Applying the Diamonds
- Dip your pen tool into the gel or wax that came with your kit. Open up the packet of gel that came with your kit. Dip the narrow end of the pen into the gel/wax to pick some up. This will make it possible for the pen to pick up the crystals.
- Use the pen to pick up a crystal. Gently press the tip of the pen against the top, faceted part of the crystal. Lift the pen away from the tray; the crystal should be stuck to it. Keep the tray just below the edge of your canvas; this will make it easier to access.
- Gently press the crystal against the corresponding square. Pull the pen away; the crystal should be stick against the canvas. If you are just starting out, it might be a good idea to press lightly at first. This way, if the crystal is off-set, you can nudge it back into place, then press down on it to secure it. This is exactly like painting by number, except that you are using crystals instead.
- Fill the rest of the squares in that section. Work one color at a time and refill the pen with gel as needed. When you finish filling in all the squares with the same number code, move onto the next color. This will help you work faster and stay organized. Avoid resting your hand against the canvas; the more you touch the sticky surface, the less tacky it will become.
Peel away more of the plastic covering, and fill in more squares. Continue filling the canvas in using the same technique as before. Work in 1 to 2-inch (2.54 to 5.08-centimeter) wide sections, one color at a time. When you completely fill in a section, move onto the next one. Do not peel the entire plastic covering away, or the adhesive on the canvas will get dirty and lose its tack.
Part 3 - Finishing Your Work
Cover the canvas with the plastic sheet that it came with. If you discarded the sheet, you can cover it with a piece of paper or parchment paper; avoid using wax paper.
- Go over the canvas with a rolling pin. This will press down any loose diamonds and secure them. If you don't have a rolling pin, you can use a can or jar instead. You can also gently rub the canvas with your hands instead.
- Stack some heavy books on top of the canvas overnight. This will help further adhere the diamonds to the canvas and ensure that they bond properly. If you don't have any books large enough to cover the canvas, you can use another flat, heavy object, such as a box or cutting board.
- Peel the tape away. Lift the books off first, then peel the plastic covering off. Peel the tape from the corners of the canvas. Do not trim the excess canvas way, as this may cause the fabric to fray.
- Frame the canvas. Remove the glass from the frame first, then insert the canvas into the frame. Fold the excess edges down, then place the backing into place. Leave the glass out, as it will only dull down the diamonds' sparkle. For a fancier touch, place the canvas behind a mat first; this will give the canvas an additional border within the frame. Choose a color that complements the diamonds.
Received my products after Christmas which I wasn't happy about when I received it there was 12 pkt of diamonds missing as this was a Christmas present and fist time buyer I am extremely upset ...I can't find where I can contact you so this is the only way I can hopefully get this matter sorted immediately ...Tina
I’ve been asked to review this product that I was supposed to have received 20 days ago but I never received it.
Have not done it yet
Appreciated quick delivery. Really liked how each individual drill was packaged making it much easier to set up thanking you.
I received everything I ordered in good condition and very quickly. Thank you
Custom pic, absolutely love it 👍
Gift to a ten year old girl, she loves it, it will take her a while to finish, it’s slow going. Very happy .
50 x 50 is an ideal size and the colours are great.
Most disappointed with the Mandala I purchased. The symbols on the canvas are almost impossible to decipher. Also there are no boxes around the symbols on the canvas so it's difficult to place the diamonds accurately. Furthermore, the diamonds (although square) do not completely cover the canvas, leaving gaps between the colours. The two other kits I purchased at the same time were given to others as gifts so I am waiting to get their feedback.
Pleased with my purchase.
Very happy with product 👍👍
thank you for the delivery of the diamond dotz kits. myself and my children aged 7 and 15 years old ,found the picture size was small and the symbols representing each different coloured bead was way to small making it really hard to see . overall all l was very disappointed with this product . l bought these pictures from you as it was cheaper but upset with what l got.
Love my snowman diamond . Great quality. Can’t wait to start it
Love the quality of the canvas and crystals. This is my second one and going to take me some time to finish it but I’m sure like my first one it will turn out just as great!!!
I have left a review, I have received my order thank you
Fantastic loved doing this painting
I have had my diamond painting for around 3 weeks now. I think this will take me 3 months to do just because of the size it's as big as my kitchen table. But every day I can't wait to get my daily chores done so I can sit down and do it. I can't wait to see the end product. I recommend anyone that's just looking around to use this company. They are very quick to answer any question and concerns you may have about your delivery. I got mine through the Christmas new year period and still had it sitting on my kitchen table before the date they said it would arrive. I would recommend this company to anyone. Very professional, polite, and I'm loving the product.
I purchased 3 products, but am still working on the first 1. Delivery was very quick & I have not found any problems at this stage.
Would purchase again.
Very happy with my purchase arrived within the given time frame
I gave this as a gift. I'm sure it was appreciated and enjoyed.
Absolutely gorgeous piece! Can’t wait til it’s finished.
Very pleased with product, granddaughter enjoying the challenge.
Great service with excellent selection of pictures
It was great quality
Thank you look forward to ordering more an recommending you
Am very disappointed with artmoon as I ordered 2x diamond dots and am still waiting for my delivery which was placed on 4th December 2019
I am sorry to say that I am very disappointed in the product. On opening box one I took out the two design sheets and the beads. Neither of the bead packets has the same number as on the design sheet. Also, not one of the individual bead packets has a number on it that matches the symbol or colour on the design sheet.its as if the wrong set of beads has been included. If I do not receive the correct beads I shall have to return the product for a full refund.
Speedy delivery and it's gorgeous. Couldn't be happier. Will definitely be buying more here
Love it, am addicted.
This is something me and my 10 yo daughter have been working on together. She loves doing it, it is super simple and easy to use. Didn’t come the any directions but just YouTube and we were under way. Quality so far seems good. Nice relaxing and bonding thing for just us 2. It has been fun to see it come together. Can’t wait until it is done!
Two things that I would like to know what do you finish your paintings off with to stop the loss of diamonds that don’t stick properly and do you have frames for the finished article
Was a gift for someone. They were very happy with it
We have yet to receive the product:(
Very disappointed that I haven't received this canvas. How long do I have to wait